.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Taking liberties since 1978

19.4.07

Nottingham Girl Geek Dinner 18/04/07

After I missed the Girl Geek Dinner at Tech Ed in Barcelona I was interested in finding out a bit more about it and was surprised to find that there were events that were being run locally. So I decided to go to the next one and check it out.

I'm not really big into networking, but I do find that there are so few women developers that as a rule we tend to stick together; sometimes despite quite differing personalities. I'm pretty passionate about good web design and usability, this seemed like a good opportunity to possibly meet like minded individuals.

The evening is run by Chemistry Digital and as this was only the third one run in Nottingham, so it is still finding it's feet, so I think it is fair to say that everyone else there was in some way linked to the company. However they did a really good job of getting an interesting speaker, Rachel Jacobs from Active Ingredient gave a presentation about "Ere Be Dragons" which was a hybrid of art and mobile game. Being both an enthusiastic gamer and with an arty background the topic really interested me and it was great to talk to Rachel at more length about how they developed the projects and the difference between public and private sector work - especially within the context of gaming.

Everyone was really friendly and I really enjoyed it. My only criticism is that they really need to promote the event a bit better and try to attract some more technical women as the majority there worked in marketing; I think I out geeked all the women there by about ten fold. Unfortunately the majority of my suitably geeky female friends are Brummy based - so perhaps we need to get one set up there as well.

Still I look forward to seeing who they get to speak next time and perhaps if they get some more techies along I'll volunteer to do a talk.

Don't be put off by the crappy wiki, have a look and sign up for the next one:
http://nottinghamgirlgeekdinner.pbwiki.com/





p.s. I didn't really answer the question at the time, but I was impressed Matt knew at the end what I was talking about, so my choice of comic book herione would be Tank Girl - she drives a tank - need I say more? Although Promethea does seem like a good second choice.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home