.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Taking liberties since 1978

17.1.06

Zeldman has spoken - Web 3.0

A List Apart: Articles: Web 3.0

Zeldman has spoken and I'm still giggling.

I usually resist the urge to link to Zeldman, because lets face it at least half the world's blogs do, or at least any that relate to web design. But I could not resist this article on A List Apart, a website that has been the centre of my web design career for as long as I can remember.

Recently I've blogged a lot about Web 2.0 in an attempt to get my head around what it really is, or if it is just a marketing term. My feeling is that web has always and will continue to develop, it doesn't really matter what you call it. I mean if you take a slice of the web now and compare it to a slice of the web from 15 years ago it would be fair to it has developed alot and is a "different version". But for those of us that work with the web day in day out it has evolved and this sudden proclaimation that we are now Web2.0 seems all a bit silly. There some concepts like collaberation, which are great, whatever the technology, or name you give them.

The interesting thing I got form Zeldman's article was the undertone that there are those people who do and those who talk about doing it. Chasing around after the latest fad is a lot of effort and Zeldman implies that if you are doing this then you've already missed the boat.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to create great interfaces and you can call it Web 2.0 or not, I won't mind either way; the important thing is the creating. I will conceed however that the whole Web 2.0 thing has made me reconsider javascript, as I've let my skills slip for far too long, partly because it's a nasty language to code in and partly out of fear of creating some horrible inaccessible if fancy looking monster.

On this note lets hope I can get my website up and running this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Ha! Web2.0 is so last week! I see your Web2.0 and raise you Web4G

Even mobile phones are only on 3G.

12:14 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4G sounds so last century to me, lol

Looking at the 4G diagram and reading a bit its nothing that cannot already be done in most programming languages and certainly if you use something like Active Directory, permissions management is a doddle.

Not sure that 3G and 4G are the same thing, isn't 3G just a way of transporting the data between mobile phones like for example gps?

10:33 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home