.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Taking liberties since 1978

14.1.06

Promethea - Alan Moore



I managed to find this little gem in my library recently. It's not very easy to get hold of anymore, so while I'd been meaning to read this Alan Moore series for some time I wasn't keen to start in the middle of the series.

The only other thing I have read of Moore's to date is Top 10, although I've had intentions of reading a lot of his stuff for quite a while. This one was worth the wait, Moore delivers the introduction to some intersting characters. I have a real weakspot for fairytales and ancient mythology, I think that's why I love so much of Gaiman's stuff. And Promethea ties into this directly when studying the mythology of Promethea brings her to life. It aslo deals with the realm of imagination and does so with great depth and beauty. The drawing is fantastic and imagery of cards becoming butterflies and the flies becoming dragonflies is just great and for some reason has a sort of Alice in Wonderland feel to it.

My only criticism is that book one really is only half a story. But this was easily solved as I have now been to Amazon to get the whole series. I'm sure many people have written far more eloquently about this book than I, so I shall leave it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home